Follow me:

Our Skoolie Conversion | Bus Seats and Floor Removal

Unbolted all of the bus seats!

So, I came home and my amazingly proactive wife had managed to remove all the tie down bolts from the bus seats and casuallybrought up the idea of moving them out and over to the shed.

“Sure!” I said, forgetting that the July heat in a summer North Carolina afternoon was in full effect.

Whew what a pain in the ass! Although we definitely have it MUCH easier than so many others that are converting and things just don’t want to budge, which results to some more extreme measures like sawzaws and angle grinders, our humidity and heat make up for that. As we got to the end of the line with the seats I figured we had put in a good amount of effort for the day, I WAS WRONG!

The floors looked like they wanted to get torn up so bad, so I gave them what they wanted, and then they fought back.

After removing the screws from the center aisle and accessing the situation, I found the rubber top was beyond glued down to the thick ¾” plywood underneath, and since they had decided to lay it down in offset layers, it only made things that much more of a struggle. So, after attempting strictly brute force from the front of the bus, I knew I had to take up another method. I brought in a wedge object to assist with maintaining vertical prying progress as I lifted the plywood and a portable circular saw, adjusted the blade depth, and began cutting the layers into manageable sizes to pry up with a combination of hammer, crowbar, and again, pure human will. I lost… but planned on returning to fight another day.

Bus seats are out!

The next day, I resumed the sweatshop labor and found an additional reason for resistance was due to roofing nails holding down the plywood to the metal floor… damnit. However, I was able to sustain the previous day’s technique, along with Shiang-ling’s scoring of the rubber mat and pulling that up, to accomplish the mission. Whew… what an event but one that makes you feel good.

Of note, we’re super glad we did this because we did find wet, rotting wood underneath the rear emergency exit opening and rust areas requiring treatment as well. Working bee award of this day goes to CHLOE!

Previous Post Next Post

Keep going...

No Comments

Leave a Reply